Structured Sales Consulting worked with this supplier of mining products and services for just over a year, with offices in Western Australia, New South Wales and Queensland.
When we commenced with the business, there was minimal direction, structure or accountability to the sales team resulting in degraded revenue performance.
As is the case with all new engagements, Structured Sales commenced by performing a time management audit with the sales team, to determine how the team was spending its effort. This enabled Structured Sales to analyse and learn about the team prior to making any recommendations for change.
Over a twelve-month period, we worked with the business to implement:
- effective and transparent time management strategies, auditable on demand;
- Changes to the culture and the structure of the team, to install positive sales behaviours and remove entrenched negative behaviours;
- A recurring One-On-One meeting schedule for each team members to ensure individuals were upskilled and coached at their own pace;
- A portfolio management scheme for each sales team members, with clearly defined client responsibilities;
- A robust revenue management system whereby client trends could be identified at a glance and acted upon, either to replicate successes or correct issues as they occurred;
- An incentive scheme for the team to encourage the onboarding of new business along with efforts to reward the stabilisation and revenues of existing accounts;
- A sales meeting agenda format which brough focus to what was important for the business, along with standardised weekly reporting templates to ensure transparently consistent reporting on the activities of portfolio holders;
- A pre planning template for the appropriate preparation of major account management and new business external meetings, including coaching on client approaches including professional communications strategies;
- The restructure of the team based on the skills and natural personalities of team members, including the recruitment of three additional senior sales resources;
- The upskilling of an existing member of staff to National Sales Manager; and
- The handover of all implemented management components of the changes to the new National Sales Manager.
Structured Sales Consulting also did communications assessments, monitoring and improving the quality of communications going out via email and via phone from the sales team.
The outcome of the engagement was a complete team restructure which allowed the business to focus more closely on their clients, resulting in a lift in revenue and a closer relationship with the client base.